Thursday, July 17, 2014


Hola!
     Today my district and Alma district were studying, and one of the teachers came in.  I don't remember how it came up, but he said, "There are only two seasons in the Dominican Republic; verano (summer) and infierno."  I would say that that is appropriate, though I've actually kind of gotten used to the humidity.  And the heat.  Plus I think infierno would have more of a dry heat, but then again, I really don't like humidity.  You can sweat out half your body weight just going outside.
     We'll see how used to it I really am tomorrow, because we're going out on splits!  Eight hours in the field tomorrow.  Super exciting.  Very scary.  It actually was a lot better going contacting last week.  We talked to one lady for forty-five minutes, and she was really excited!  But I made a mistake with numbers, and tried to make a joke out of it: "We know how to bear our testimonies, but haven't learned numbers, or colors, or whatever," and she I guess got really concerned and spent fifteen minutes explaining numbers and colors to us, so that was really special.  But she asked us when we had come to the country, and we said June eighteenth, and she asked, "last year?  Two years ago?" and we said no.  She thought that was really cool.  To be honest, so do I.
     I'm still super excited about being a missionary.  I've been out for a month but it still feels new.  I love it so much.
     The native speakers who are going into the field with us got here yesterday!  I haven't talked to them much, but there are a few coming to Puerto Rico, so I'm excited to get to know them.  Plus I'll really be able to improve my Spanish through talking to them.
     Before I forget: It's easy for me to send letters to y'all, but nigh unto impossible for me to receive them (thanks, Dominican Republic mail system).  So if you have sent me one, rest assured, I haven't received it, and also probably will never receive it.  Which also means there are people out there I want to write but haven't because I don't have your addresses.  So shoot me an email with your address, and I'll write a ton of letters during my flights (I leave July 29).
     Today I made my first mistake in English!  I was trying to say, "I didn't do anything" but accidentally said, "I didn't do nothing," which is consistent with Spanish grammar rules but not English.  It was funny.  It's getting really easy for me to speak fast like a Dominican, and easier to understand.  But I need to practice with the new missionaries.
    I'm running out of time!  But everyone should read 2 Nephi 31 this week.  With the old and new scripture mastery lists combined, 2 Nephi takes the prize for the most scripture masteries, beating Matthew and Isaiah.  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment